Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Dead Legs

I postd a comment on Kate's blog recently about resigning myself to permanently dead legs combining running and cycling....if anyone else had said that I'd be advising them to take it easy for a bit.

I had a look back at what I have been up to over the last month, my rough goals are to do 200 miles of biking and 50 miles of running to keep on target for the year (2000 miles and 750 miles respectively). I did 239 bike miles and just squeaked in 50 running miles, not huge volume really.

I also had a good few days off here and there but the big change was the reintroduction of running speedwork, the dreaded intervals and tempo runs are back! I have done sets of 400's. 800's and 1600's (set off too fast and they so, so hurt)- forgot to do 1200's! Two miles worth of fast stuff, and two runs with 4 miles at 8:30 mm which is just slower than my 10K pace.

This is the only way I will keep running at lunchtimes over the winter, I have no real choice of route so I have to break the run up into chunks. Its been a big increase in intensity so I've backed off this week, quite a lot due to the blooming weather! Nothing more than four miles (if this rain ever stops).

Next week, start again with 400's and 2.5 miles of fast stuff. I am not looking forward to those mile ones again.

4 comments:

  1. sounds like a good plan....i'm even thinking of investing in a garmin/hr monitor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep thinking about intervals, but I seem to lack the motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bike miles are tough off-road miles, whereas most people 'clock up the mileage' with nice easy flat road miles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garmins are the best, I got one as it was cheaper to do that than get a polar HR monitor!

    ReplyDelete