Monday, April 6, 2009

Friday's silly attempt at an interval session

Woke up and crawled out of bed on Friday, decided to run after work to give myself a chance to perk up. I had planned an interval session with two miles of warmup / cooldown on either side. I'm not sure what planet I was on but it really wasn't a good idea, I could barely function mentally at work and having to have coffee in the afternoon to stay awake is not a good sign.

So I get home, get my kit on and out the door. When I start running I feel like I've got someone else's legs! This actually wasn't too surprising after two days of riding, particularly after Thursday mornings efforts. Two miles at an easy pace wasn't too bad but then I got ready for the first interval. The session was 2 sets of 4 x 400 so short ones. I set off on the first one and couldn't get it up to any sort of speed at all. The second one I was even slower and wanted to stop after about 100 metres, I did the whole thing but finally as I wobbled to a stop decided to cut my losses and go home.

Well I actually had to stop for a few minutes before I could summon up the energy to start shuffling homewards. I reckoned I had about 2.5 miles to go and it felt like an eternity. I was breathing hard but my heart rate wasn't up where it should be (not a good sign), I felt like I was putting in a lot of effort but I was moving at 10:30 mm pace and I couldn't move any faster. Ouch.

It was a slow and painful 2.5 miles, when I got home I decided that Saturday's 18 miler attempt was best postponed until at least Sunday (err, just to Sunday!). So so tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment