Friday, January 9, 2009

Tempo Run

Today's run was 1 mile easy, 4 miles at tempo pace then 1 mile easy. I ran in the opposite direction to the way I normally head due to the wind direction and I managed to get lost on the way back! The last part of the run is through residential streets and I managed to miss a turning. It added on 3/4 of a mile that I didn't need to do so ended up doing 7 miles in total.

The tempo pace was supposed to be my best 10K pace plus 15 - 30 seconds. My best 10K pace is 8:20 so it should have been around 8:35 - 8:50 range. I averaged 8:20 for the four miles which was too fast really. I spent the whole four miles looking at the pace on the Garmin and constantly trying to slow myself down a bit, I'm hoping to get a feel for pacing soon though I didn't need the Garmin to tell me when I dipped under the 8mm mark as that felt really hard. I found the last tempo mile in particular hard due to overdoing the first three I think. I need to be careful with the speedwork pace as its an injury waiting to happen otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment