Monday, November 24, 2008

Cold Evening Run

Got home about 6:50 pm and was out running by 7:05 pm. It was pretty cold so I started running a bit faster than normal to warm up. As I was heading out of the estate I passed someone washing their car by hand, in the dark, in the freezing cold. Why?

I had debated with myself all the way home where I was going to run, I needed some cash and decided to run to a cash machine in Leyland, exactly which one would depend on how I was feeling. I felt cold and breathing was a little difficult due to the cold air and I think my airways being a little irritated still. My legs also felt like they had never run a step before, really heavy at times.

I ended up running to the HSBC in the centre of town, I decided once I got into it I wanted to run for 20 minutes at least before turning back. As I was stopped at the machine I was coughing quite a bit but it stopped as soon as I started running again.

My quads and bum felt really cold by the time I got home, my tights are fleece lined but they are not particularly thick so for the very cold I don't think they are quite enough. I did 4.75 miles in the end at 8:45 pace. I have noticed a diffence already from the speedwork, not the actual speed as that was cold induced but my running stride felt a lot smoother again from a little bit of time spent working on it.

3 comments:

  1. Great commitment getting out and you are a fast runner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeh, keep up the speed work, it certainly seems to be working. i'm going to try and start doing some next week thanks to your report!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy the sessions normally too which helps, but it does have a benefit (as long as I don't overdo it)

    ReplyDelete